Over 40 claims to north property commission August 18, 2006Posted by grhomeboy in Cyprus Occupied.
Over 40 Greek Cypriots have now made applications for compensation to the property commission in the north, the Turkish Cypriot side said yesterday.
“The number of applications so far has reached to 42 and three of these have been decided,” a statement said.
The property commission was set up earlier this year with the aim of being accepted as domestic remedy by the European Court of Human Rights, offsetting mounting Greek Cypriot appeals over recent years.
According to the Turkish Cypriot news agency TAK, only one applicant requested for his property to be exchanged and not be restituted or compensated.
“So far three cases have been finalised,” TAK said.
Of those two Greek Cypriots had applied for their properties in the north to be reinstated and one had requested to be compensated.
Government Spokesman Christodoulos Pashardis said yesterday the state was not aware of the exact number of Greek Cypriots going to the commission.
“I reiterate what we have already said, and that is that this commission is illegal,” he said.